Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hey, I Just Thought of Something!

You may look upon life as an unprofitable episode, disturbing the blessed calm of non-existence.
Arthur Schopenhauer

In the spirit of negative utilitarianism, I shall now coin a new term (ugh, upon googling, I found somebody else has already used it. However, I feel that my use is unique, considering the philosophical context...so THERE!) And that term is:

NEGATIVE BLISS
.
And why not? Beats the hell out of the 'mere addition paradox' of positive utilitarianism, no? And unlike positive utilitarian utopias, non-existence is definitionally achievable (as opposed to highly speculative), and invulnerable to undoing. Honestly, I really perceive no downside here. Please feel free to comment if you disagree.
.
"A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff nature replaces it with"
Tennessee Williams

2 comments:

Sister Y said...

Hello - I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how pleased I am that you exist! (Perhaps an impolite thing for an antinatalist to say to another.) I was pointed to your blog by Mitchell Porter. When one holds impolite views, it's always a relief to find that others hold the same views, and articulate them beautifully - I've been shocked twice in the space of about a month, once by discovering Benatar, and now you. Thanks for representing for the non-cheery.

Anonymous said...

Thanks first to Mitchell for the 'point', and then to you for your interest, and kind words. Welcome aboard, curator! Honestly, I believe there's an undercurrent of antinatalist attitudes, especially in the West, and perhaps even more-so in Japan. It's seldom openly articulated; at least, not in a straightforward way. But, throughout our lifetimes, who hasn't heard the expression "I wouldn't want to bring a child into this world"? Of course, inheriting the almost universal prejudice that 'life is good', people tend to demonize their own time and place, as if times past were the 'good old days'. It's a little tougher to acknowledge that life is rotten to the core; or at least, rotten enough to consider abandoning as a species.

Anyhow, glad to meet you, and I hope you'll feel free to participate here. Take care.