Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Noteworthy Cigarette Break

So, I went out into the garage for a smoke, and my neighbor across the alley came outside. We got to chatting, and I told him I'd taken a sick day, and was putzing around with my blogs. I briefly explained my take on procreation to him, half wondering what his reaction would be, as he's a very cheery sort of person, and seemingly wouldn't be predisposed to the notion of voluntary human extinction. Imagine my surprise when he revealed that he'd often thought along those lines himself; and, in fact, that these ruminations had informed his decision not to have children. Oh yes, there IS an undercurrent of rational discernment out there, folks.

A few seconds after my neighbor drove off, a hummingbird flew into my garage, hovered inches from my face for several seconds, spoke to me, then took off. Unfortunately, I don't speak hummingbird, so his message was lost. Still, it was a peculiar incident, and has stirred the little sparkly things in the kaleidoscope of my mind. Curiouser and curiouser...

No comments: